#Yearof50. Entry 23: The monster in the mirror

In 2006, my darling husband Mark Julien lost his father to Alzheimer’s disease. It was a profoundly emotional time and proved to be a catalyst for Mark. After earning his B.Ed. in 2008, and teaching visual arts to high school students, Mark began the initial writings and illustrations of what would eventually become his graphic novel Justin Case and the Closet Monster.

Dedicated to his dad, Raymond, the story was a fantastical way through which Mark could talk with him, and tell him the truth he never had the courage to share when he was still alive and cogent.
Mark created a beautiful world of Closet Monsters, who live in another dimension, tasked to help LGBTQ+ humans on their way out of the closet.
Mark worked on the book for 9 years. I remember him drawing and writing non-stop, day and night, including a memorable ferry ride from Boston to Provincetown.
As he created the world of the Closet Monsters, I waited patiently to meet them and learn more about them and their journeys. I was honoured to be the first to see them and read the original version of the novel.
Eventually, Mark asked me to edit the book, and it was an incredibly meaningful creative partnership. I took the job quite seriously.
And I was so unbelievably touched to learn one of the monsters is based on me: the rather sweet, little, green, one-eyed creature named Glance. He’s earnest, pure of heart, and very romantic.
We spent another year building an audience and then launching what became a successful Kickstarter campaign to self-publish the book. We then worked hard to get word out, and received very positive reviews from sources such as The Advocate, Gay Comic Geek, NYC Comic Geeks, and none other than Sir Ian McKellen. Mark was also interviewed on queer podcasts in L.A., Chicago, and NYC. He was covered by CBC Toronto, Standard-Freeholder, Queen’s Journal, and UCLA’s queer magazine OutWrite.
I’m so proud of Mark. It was such a labour of love and enormous emotion. There were many tears along the way, and self-doubt. I always believed in him and that he could do it. I am in awe of his artistic vision.
I love the Closet Monsters and have fallen in love with all of them. I deeply care about them and their respective paths. To that end, I am excited to share that Mark is working on a new graphic novel featuring two characters from his first book.
Mark has graciously invited me to be co-owner of the property, and we are writing partners on an additional new project based on the Closet Monsters world. I’m ridiculously happy and blessed to be Mark’s life and creative partner.




Comments