#Yearof50. Entry 21: Get it while you can

I’ve been watching the excellent music documentary series “1971” on AppleTV+ and learning more about the era-defining music born the same year as yours truly. The series provides a great overview of the cultural and political context for what was happening in the world to influence what later became viewed as landmark albums.

What is so striking is that many (if not all) of these songs resonate just as powerfully 50 years onward.
I’m especially partial to “Pearl” as my mom has always been a huge Janis Joplin fan. My late elementary school bestest friend Chris Kearns (RIP) was a massive The Who fan, so I got to know “Who’s Next”.
Of course, every singe school dance always ended with “Stairway to Heaven”, which is a pure disaster of a song to try and dance to with someone.
I’ve shared cover images of some of the best albums of 1971. What a singular, outstanding year in music. Have we ever equalled it?
The test, of course, remains regardless of whatever music is popular and hip at a moment in time, will we be gathering 50 years hence to celebrate and covet the songs?
In the meantime, take a moment to cherish the year in music that was 1971. As Janis Joplin once sang, “So if someone comes along/He's gonna give you some love and affection/I'd say get it while you can, yeah!/Honey, get it while you can”.









Comments