#Yearof50. Entry 7: A letter can change your life

A letter can change your life. This one changed mine. 32 years ago this month a letter arrived from Queen's University that offered me admission.

If I recall accurately, my mom called me at my summer job at my dad’s car lot to let me know the envelope had arrived. I was the detailer- the kid who cleaned every inch of the car, inside and out, to get it ready for sale (My closest friends would tell you that was a rather appropriate job for me).

I left my home in Aylmer, Quebec, and arrived at Queen’s, at the tender age of 17, in August 1989. Like Bilbo, I went on an adventure and I fell instantly in love with my new school and city. I came to age at Queen’s and experienced some of the worst and greatest moments of my life.

What has forever bonded me to that endurable collection of limestone edifices on Lake Ontario is the people who were always in my corner, of which there were so many. From the embarrassment of riches that were my professors in the extraordinary department of Philosophy, to the deeply compassionate staff, especially in Residence Life, I always felt that Queen’s had my back. In my third year, the late Dr. Norman Brown invited me to his office, as he could see I was struggling. I arrived to his office trepadacious, only to find him waiting with a plate of cookies and a glass of milk.

After a two-year sabbatical, I was able to return to my studies in 1994, and when I called the Faculty of Arts & Science office to let them know I was re-registering, the woman on the phone said, “That’s wonderful, dear. We can’t wait to welcome you back.” I replied by crying. Such kindness was always offered to me at Queen’s and I have tried to pay it back in any way I can.

I also met at Queen’s my beloved intimate circle of extraordinary friends who continue to nourish and protect me to this day. They are the soil to my soul roots and I would be lost without them. They are the reason I want to keep on growing. I later worked at Queen’s for 10 years and cherish my colleagues from that time.

Oh, and I also met a rather intriguing character at Queen’s in 2001 that I eventually married. But that will be covered in a future posting. I’ve tried my best to serve and help Queen’s these past 30+ years, and so was enormously honoured to receive first the Ontario Volunteer Service Award from the Government of Ontario, and then the Herbert J. Hamilton Award for Volunteer Service from Queen's University Alumni.

In honour of my dearest mother, Jackiline Hodgins, who made my journey to Queen’s possible, I’m proud to share that there is an endowed bursary in her name at Queen’s Ban Righ Centre that provides support to women returning to post-secondary education. A new generation of women will continue to make a difference in the world, as my mom always did for me. 



Comments