#Yearof50. Entry 18: I'm Wide Awake

In the summer of 1984, my parents packed me into the car and dropped me off at an overnight camp near Haley Station, Ontario, not too far from the southeast boundary of Algonquin Park. I was 13, pretty upset, and really did not want to be there.
In the end, that week changed my life. I had an incredible experience, meeting wonderful people and, in fact, did not want to leave when my parents came back to pick me up. Notably, a fellow camper brought out his boom box and played a song from some band from Ireland called U2. That song was “Pride (In the Name of Love)” and I was transfixed.
I kept a careful watch for more new U2 music and was in Grade 10 when they finally released “The Joshua Tree”. I started to earnestly collect their back catalogue and bootleg live recordings in music shops on Rideau St in Ottawa. By 1988, with the release of “Rattle and Hum”, I was deeply invested and started to most assuredly bother family and friends with my constant playing of my beloved band.
What cemented my relationship with U2, beyond the extraordinary songs, was their work with various organizations such as Amnesty International and Greenpeace, and others committed to social justice. As a young teenager living in rural Quebec, my consciousness was raised by U2’s participation in Live Aid, the “Sun City” album, Amnesty International “A Conspiracy of Hope” Tour, “Self-Aid” concert, and their “Stop Shellafield” protest show.
I ended up founding an Amnesty International chapter at my CEGEP, and I later canvassed for Greenpeace. I also got involved with Model U.N., a movement to engage youth with global geopolitical issues and policy. And today, I try my best to help advocate for the 2SLGBTQ community through my work with The 519 and Queen's Queer Alumni Chapter.
30 years ago yesterday, U2 released their masterpiece “Achtung Baby”. I was in second year at Queen’s. I must confess I may have skipped a class or two to run down to Kingston’s late epic record shop House of Sound to buy and then sit back and listen to the album.
It meant so much to me that U2 donated proceeds of that album’s superlative single “One” to AIDS research. Cofounding the organization (RED), Bono would continue to advocate for global support for AIDS research and medications to fight that pandemic.
But it all began with a song. And it will end with a song. “Let it go. And so fade away.” It’s U2’s music that has carried me for these past 37 years. They’ve been the soundtrack to my life.
And so, it’s my absolute pleasure to both announce and invite you to listen to my episode of “Desire” streaming on U2’s official SiriusXM channel U2XRadio. What an honour for this little guy. You’ll hear from me while I share 5 U2 songs that are essential to me. Thank you U2.
“She’s gonna dream up the world she wants to live in. She’s gonna dream out loud. “




Comments