#Yearof50. Entry 13: Get out of your own way

20 years ago this month my darling nephew Kaelan Kelly arrived. Not only am I his uncle, but I also have the privilege of being his godfather.

Sadly, I don’t get to see him very often, as we moved westward and he remains in my hometown. Still, he is often in my thoughts and I hope he knows how much I treasure him. As I never had children,

Kaelan is a special part of my heart. I love that he always makes time for me when we do visit (he never got too cool for his old uncle). Kaelan was 9 when we lost my dad, and I spent a lot of time with him during those tough final weeks. I remember reading to him one night after Dad had died, and I was tucking him in and he looked up at me and asked “Do you have any feelings to share?”. It broke my heart that my little nephew, who was deeply grieving his beloved grandad, was concerned about his very adult uncle. It’s my favourite moment of many memories of times with Kaelan.

Thankfully, I will finally be able to see him soon. I can’t believe he turns 20 in a few weeks. Where does time go, indeed. Always your loving uncle, dear Kaelan, now and forever.




Comments