May 14, 2010

Facebook a Ponzi scheme?

For a variety of reasons, including privacy concerns, I deleted my Facebook account well over a year ago. When I want to connect with friends afar I phone or email them. If they are in town, where most of my real friends are, I get together with them to, perish the thought, talk in person.

Facebook allows folks to pretend they are much more popular than they really are and pretend to connect with their legions of pretend friends. In reality, I am much closer to the cashier at my local Food Basics than any of the so-called friends I used to carry along on my Facebook account.

With accusations flying of a (possibly criminal) ambivalence towards its users' privacy, the Facebook organization is facing some very harsh media coverage and users are starting to wake up and trying to navigate the maze of 170 options in order to manage their privacy.

Now, as the bloom is definitely off of Facebook, its actual creator ponders whether we are at the end of the Facebook era, while another fellow argues that the insidious social media platform is really a Ponzi scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment