April 9, 2009

With the lights out

Wow, yesterday was the 15th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death. I can't believe that much time has passed. I was not a huge fan of Nirvana, or the whole grunge movement, but only an idiot would deny Cobain's influence and that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was an anthem of a generation. 

I was the artistic director of a youth theatre company back in 1994 and my actors were simply devastated. I recall that we had a rehearsal the day his body was discovered and I had the actors sit around and share their feelings. I could see how much Cobain and the band's music meant to them, and we all ended up getting just that much closer to one another. 

I remember thinking what a shame that he could not have gotten through the darkness to the other side. He was certainly a poet and he had a singular voice and talent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment