December 11, 2008

A Very U2 Christmas













I am shaking my head at the realization it was 24 years ago that a bunch of socially-conscious pop stars got together to record "Do They Know Its Christmas?". Bono's contribution was the accusatory line "Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you". I thought he delivered it so very well. He would contribute the same vocal again when a new generation gathered to re-record the song on the occasion of its 20th anniversary. The song-for-a-cause movement was born and U2 made a few more Christmas songs.

In 1987 U2 contributed a song to the charity album "A Very Special Christmas". I remember rushing out to by my copy of the cassette tape (yes, you read that correctly). It's been a favourite of mine for all that time, and the Christmas season always makes me want to hear it again for all reasons nostaglic. Thanks to the gift that is YouTube you can enjoy the playful video U2 made for the song "It's Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)". The song begins at 0:38 after an intro by a VJ with great '80s hair.

This past week, U2 recorded another Christmas song for (Red)Wire, an online music magazine that purchases aids drugs in Africa. The songs is a remake of a 1970s beauty called "I Believe in Father Christmas"

Bonus: Have a look at U2 circa 1987 covering "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)".


No comments:

Post a Comment