August 1, 2007

Today marks the official announcement that Fort Henry, the Rideau Canal and Kingston's fortifications have been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Canada's 14th to make the list and Ontario's first.
The stone Fort was completed in 1837 (replacing an earlier wood structure), the 202-kilometre Canal was finished in 1832, and the 6 Martello towers (4 towers and 2 redoubts) were completed in 1848.

No comments:

Post a Comment